Friday, June 9, 2017

To write or not to write about politics

There seems to be quite a bit of political turbulence world-wide nowadays, and I'm curious if people who have international penpals discuss politics in their correspondence.

I would have to say that I usually don't write about politics in my letters, mostly because I'm not very confrontational, and I don't want to offend anyone. But, I'm happy to answer questions from my penpals, even offer up my opinion, if I'm asked for it.

I think that the longer a correspondence continues, the more likely penpals are to write about such matters. Once they get to know each other better, through their letters, they are more comfortable being open and honest about things like that.

How about you? Do you write about politics or any other controversial topic in your letters?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How can you say, "I think that the longer a correspondence continues, the more likely penpals are to write about such matters. Once they get to know each other better, through their letters, they are more comfortable being open and honest about things like that." if you don't engage . . . You are not "very confrontational?" Why must one be confrontational during such conversations?

Why do you ask? You confuse me.

365 Letters said...

I ask just because I'm curious how other letter writers are with their pen pals. I started writing to international pen pals when I was about 14 years old, and I noticed, even back then, that most new penfriendships started out on a very basic level, talking about hometowns and family life,etc. As the relationship deepened, so did --sometimes -- the topics of discussion. But, I also discovered that some people didn't want to write about such things. Maybe they just weren't interested or maybe they used the penfriendship as a way of escaping from their everyday lives and serious topics were too real. I didn't mean to confuse anyone. Just curious about different styles of letter writing.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for taking the time to make it plain. I understand your comment and the reasons for your question now. I responded last night, then deleted all I'd written. I hope readers give you a flood of thoughtful, honest answers.

Have a good weekend.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...