Saturday, July 17, 2010

Letter #198 -- What do you write with?

What writing utensil do you use when you write letters? Ball point? Rollerball? Fountain pen? Pencil?

I almost always write letters with a pen, sometimes a ball point, sometimes a fountain pen, occasionally a dip pen (the old-fashioned stick pen that you dip in a bottle or jar or well of ink). One of my favorite pens is one that few other people like, a narrow, silver Cross pen. It has a Cross, medium-point blue ballpoint refill in it. It writes smoothly and effortlessly across just about any piece of paper. Another good thing about this pen...other people don't like it. It's too narrow, too smooth, too "slippery," they say. That suits me just fine. That means they don't "forget" and put my pen in their pocket.

However, when I'm making lists for myself (to-do lists, menus, plans, etc.) I like to use a sharp No. 2 pencil. There is just something thrilling about taking that sharp pencil and writing on a crisp, white sheet of paper. And, I always keep a good eraser close by.

What do you write with? Why? What is your favorite pen? Pencil? Do you prefer an old-fashioned yellow No. 2 pencil or a fancy, multi-colored mechanical version?

Think about your writing tools and write a letter about it. Maybe even include a little gift of a pen or pencil to your letter's recipient.

Letter writing topic for July 17, 2010

(Pencil clipart from  http://www.free-clipart-pictures.net)

4 comments:

Love from Kaz said...

I have a fountain pen that is ok, but recently it went missing... all of it's own accord, of course. So I've just been picking up whatever pen is handy. However, I just ordered a Lamy fountain pen (Safari, blue) on ebay. I should get it in a couple of days. If it becomes a favourite, I'll let you know!

By the way, I posted a reply to your letter yesterday. Hopefully you will get it soon.

ShEiLa said...

For letters...
A medium ball point pen (black usually) There was a phase when I wrote in any color but black.

I have never really fancied the gel pens... I don't like smearing my letters.

When I am making lists... my favorite is a yellow #2 old fashioned pencil. I break the mechanical lead way too easy... I must press to hard and that's not good.

ToOdLeS.

phonelady said...

well right now I am using a gel pen and a ball point until I can replace a fountain pen .

Jan said...

Have to say that particular Cross pen is way too skinny for me & makes my hand cramp but I like some of their "fatter models" because I like the way Cross refills write.

As for what I write letters with, it all depends on mood & type of paper. It varies between ball point, gel pen, fountain pen & on certain postcards I find extra fine Sharpies are the only pens that don't smudge. Prefer blue ink but sometimes it's fun to change ink color with every paragraph. ;-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...