Sunday, February 21, 2010

Letter #52

Letter writing topic for February 21, 2010:

At 5-something o'clock this morning, Lady, the dog we "rescued" after seeing her wander the highway a few months ago, woke us up barking and barking and barking. As best as I can tell, she's scared of the dark and just stands there barking to scare off whatever might be out there. Of course, around here, there could really be all sorts of things out there in the dark -- deer, wild hogs, skunks, coyotes, etc. Lady finally quieted down, but, naturally, I couldn't get back to sleep.

So, I'm thinking about dogs. Until late last year, as long as my husband and I have been married, we've only had cats. When we were kids, we each had a dog or two, but it just hadn't worked out for us to have a dog in our adult lives. We really didn't want a dog when we found Lady (we have/had more than enough cats), but after someone apparently dumped her out on the highway, we we couldn't stand to see her die out there. After several days of observing her on our way to and from work, one evening we saw the dog sort of lying on the side of the road. Hurt? We couldn't tell. We drove on down the highway, discussing the dog. Finally, my husband turned around and went back. By that time, the dog was running down the middle of the highway, toward the direction we had been going. We drove past a little ways and then, turned around. When we got near and slowed down, the dog came up by the driver's side door. My husband pulled over on the side of the road, and I opened the door and called to the dog. She (only we didn't know she was a "she" then)  came around to the passenger side, tail tucked under and crawling on her belly to me. She was dirty, covered in grease or oil and a little bit skinny, but not emaciated. I drove home while my husband held her in his lap...and she's not a small dog. The vet says she's part Doberman.

We took her home with us, and she's been here ever since, barking, chewing up stuff, chasing cats, getting sprayed by skunks, but desperately loving us every minute of the day. 


Today, write a letter with a story about a dog. Tell someone about your pet, one you have now or had in the past. If you don't have or never had a dog, write about another pet or a neighbor's dog or the dog you always wished you could have.

Happy letter writing!

6 comments:

Okami said...

My kind of letter topic! I'm like you, always had cats until I met my partner, George, and he brought dogs into my life. Don't know what I would do without them.

phonelady said...

that is awesome I love the fact that you all went back and got her , I love it . I would have too .

Karen said...

So glad that Lady found a good home. I'm sure she's happy, too. One of our dogs was rescued from the side of the road, and we adopted her from a shelter. She's the best.

Vicki/Jake said...

I had a dog that I got from an FBI agent who had to move and couldn't take Casey. I wrote about him on my blog but don't know how to link to past posts..I'm sure it's easy...
But if you know how to do it. find 'About Casey'
So glad you have Lady.

~Vicki~

Jackie Flaherty said...

Great story! Thanks for sharing that with us.

Jackie

Kylita said...

Lady is a lucky girl and I am sure you are all more blessed for having her. Our dog, Mandy Girl, we adopted from the Humane Society. She was nearly ready to be euthanized and was in heat and it was about 90 degrees outside. She was so forlorn and skinny, but she looked so much like our dog Huey we'd had previously that we just had to get her. We had her 11 yrs and she was so smart and good and my husband's personal walking partner. We all had a good life together. She died shortly after my only brother died 8/06 and we buried her in our yard and planted flowers all over her. A wk or two later an orange tabby cat came rushing over to me yowling and crying and rolling around under my feet when I was weeding the flower bed on Mandy's grave ... the same color as Mandy, too. I didn't want another cat ever because I had always been allergic and the last one broke my heart when he died many yrs before. But...3-1/2 yrs later, Tuffy Boy is the King of the house. He's a wild child and still goes outside all the time and I don't think he'd "allow" us to have a dog any time soon. He's the boss ;oD
p.s. I love writing letters also and have since before I knew how to write, I'd scribble letters to my Grandma. My mother was a beautiful letter writer and she gave me that gift.. I am so happy to see others who are keeping the practice alive. Thanks.
SisSTAR

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...