Friday, October 16, 2009

Why the interest in letter writing?

As I read articles that are of interest to me or this blog, I sometimes wonder, "Why am I so interested in letter writing?"

But, I don't really know the answer to that question. Part of it probably has to do with my interest in "old" things. I love to collect vintage or antique things. My kitchen is decorated with vintage kitchen utensils, cookie cutters, red-handled spoons and ladles and such. At Christmas, I decorate with vintage ornaments and Santas, some of which are old and some that just look old. I can't pass up a vintage or antique magazine or book. Somewhere in the back of my mind are thoughts that seem to range from "If I don't love this, who will?" to "Surely there's a use for this."

We often cook from scratch at our house, making our own bread (sure, we use a bread machine, but...still...), canning hot sauce, growing and drying herbs, etc. We even like to sew — by hand and by machine — but we don't always have enough time for that.

I don't just like the writing part of letter writing. I enjoy using a fountain pen, decorating the paper with rubber stamps, putting a wax seal on the back of the envelope, etc.

A fellow letter writer sent me a postcard, on which he wrote that he likes my blog but finds it ironic that I blog about old-fasioned paper and ink mail. I don't think it's so much ironic. Now, if I sent everyone e-mails saying they should write me letters...that would be ironic. I see this blog, and all the other letter writing blogs, as simply using one means of communication to discuss another form of communication.

I do see that e-mail, cell phones, texting, etc. may well be the death of letter writing, but I doubt blogging will affect correspondence much.

I wonder about the future of letter writing. I was a "Star Trek: Next Generation" fan...I can't remember Starship Enterprise inhabitants writing with pen and paper. Even as far back as the first "Star Wars" movie, I suppose the writers had written off hand-written communications.

So, why cling to it? I don't know. Doing away with pen and paper correspondence seems like we're losing a big part of our culture, our history.

It's something to ponder, anyway.

5 comments:

PostMuse said...

I think the Internet has been a boon to letter writing. Back in the day when I considered myself quite a busy letter writer, 4-6 letters/postcards a week, I never dreamed there would be a time when it would be 4-6 letters/postcards a day. But, that is where I am now, 25 years later. And it is all because of the Internet.

Why do I write letters? It is relaxing... introspective without the navel-gazing that can come with journal keeping. When I'm writing to someone, I notice personal pronouns, and try to avoid them as much as possible. I think stepping outside my own worries and writing to share insight or just every day observations helps me to let go of the bad stuff.

phonelady said...

well the reason I write is because I have joined several pen pal sites and have gained quite a few dear friends from it including but not limited to post muse , thanks for sharing and posting this .

Jackie Flaherty said...

I love writing letters and receiving letters in the mail. I agree with Postmuse that it's relaxing and can get you outside of yourself. I'm also a pen and paper enthusiast and just love the feel of different pens on a variety of paper.

Jackie
www.lettersandjournals.blogspot.com

BALLET NEWS said...

great post ! loving this blog

~JarieLyn~ said...

Letter writing is relaxing. It's similar to writing in a journal, only you are writing about yourself to someone else, therefore making it more exciting. I think it's a way to get to know yourself as well as others. I have a trunk full of letters that I have received going back 30 years. I started writing and receiving letters when I was in the 7th grade. It's awesome to revisit those letters. It's a glimpse into the person I used to be and a glimpse into what helped contribute in becoming the person I am today.

Papers, pens,colors, creative art, stamps....it all plays a role in what is so great about letter writing.
\
I love your blog.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...