Friday, August 21, 2009

Saving the Art of Letter Writing

I, for one, won’t let letter-writing become a lost art. After all, there is nothing better than getting a letter from someone in the mailbox instead of the bills and flyers one normally receives.

That comes from Tara Seel, city editor of the Daily Graphic newspaper in Portage la Prairie in the Central Plains region of Manitoba, Canada.

She wrote a column this week called "Lost Art of Letter Writing," in which she details a lovely conversation she had with her Aunt Jean. Tara vows to write more letters to Aunt Jean, and she invites her readers to write letters, too. In fact, she says she's more than happy to get some letters at the newspaper office.

I clicked on over to the "Contact Us" tab on the Web site, and here's her address:

Tara Seel
The Daily Graphic/Central Plains Herald-Leader
P.O. Box 130, 1941 Saskatchewan Ave. West
Portage la Prairie, Manitoba
R1N 3B4
Canada

If you have some time and are looking for someone to write to, send Tara a cheery note. She sounds like she'll appreciate it! You might even let her know that there are many of us letter writing fans out here!

5 comments:

phonelady said...

will do so and how lovely of you to mention this . thanks great blog again .

Lisa said...

Great to know that there are other folks out there trying to save the art of letter writing. :o)

artofnostalgia said...

Agreed! I love sending and receiving letters. I would be so sad to see this become a lost art.

Martin Woodside said...

I spent 23 years in the Auto body business and one day A gentleman named Fraser Cuthbert dropped by with his daughters car.

She had banged up the front end , headlights were hanging by the wires , and she did not want to make an insurance claim. The official damage was over $2000

Fraser asked me to fix it as cheap as possible , make it safe and functional and not worry about appearance.

As it turned out all the broken parts were fiberglass , they were all there , so I jigged everything into place and bonded it back together. I was very happy with how easy everything went and only charged him about $120.

2 weeks later I picked up my mail and made note of what looked like a personal letter. When I opened it I found the most beautiful handwriting and nicest thank you note I have ever received. Fraser had used a fountain pen & ink and his writing style was beautiful calligraphy. It reminded me of a work of art.

I treasured it for many years until it was lost in a flood. If it is possible for a letter to have a nice impact on a person , that one sure did for me. 25 years later I still think about it.

Arnie Madsen
Manitoba Canada.

Linda said...

Just stumbled upon this and am enjoying it. I too, will not let letter writing die.
Love to write 'em, love to recieve 'em!

Linda

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...