Monday, April 6, 2009

One a day is enough for me

I heard President Obama mention recently that he reads 10 letters a day...he receives 40,000 a day. Wow!

Before I started researching the Presidential letters, I never knew there was "White House Correspondence Office." I guess if I'd ever thought about it, I would have realized that someone had to be in charge of all that mail.

An article on The Washington Post Web site tells how the President makes time each day to personally read 10 letters. He does it, the article says, to keep himself grounded and to remind him about what's going on beyond the White House walls.

According to Jake Tapper's ABC blog, the president sometimes copies and distributes certain letters to his staff, so that they, too, understand what's happening in "the real world." That particular article/blog entry says that President Obama responds to two or three letters a day "in his own hand." It's an effort for me to get my one letter a day written!

With all he has to do, I realize it must be a struggle for President Obama to read those letters and respond to a few, but I hope that he continues to do this throughout his presidency. Not only will it help him achieve his goal of staying in touch with the American people, but it also will help promote letter writing, personal correspondence and good communication between people.

For myself, I think I'll just stick to my goal of one letter a day.

If you would like to send the President a letter, his address is:

The White House
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20500

5 comments:

Carla said...

Well, I don't want to write to obama but I did write to Barbara Bush. I know she probably wasn't the one who wrote me back but it was a nice letter and an autographed photo. It is interesting how many letters they get.

Almost Precious said...

It's amazing that Obama, the president of the USA, would take time to personally write to 10 constituents...he is a very special man and a very special president. Though I have nothing of importance that I would write him about, I do wish him all the best and I pray that God will help him bring our nation out of this economic depression...he had a big mess dumped in his lap before he even got into office. :\

LisavVi said...

I had my class write to President George W. Bush and we recieved a nice letter in return. It was probably from a staff member but the kids were excited to receive it. Did you also know that if you send a birth announcment to the White House your child will recieve a welcome note from the President and First Lady? Again not from them personally but still a cool keepsake. We have received ones from Clinton and from Bush.

The Missive Maven said...

This is amazing and wonderful. Thanks for sharing.

Wendy said...

Wow, it's amazing that he manages to do all that he does.

I saw a great documentary segment on the calligraphy office there. That was impressive, too.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...