Thursday, April 2, 2009

Happy NCLWM!

Until I started this project and blog, and started reading other blogs about letter writing, I had no idea there was a National Card and Letter Writing Month. But, there is, and it's this month! (Actually, the "month" extends to May 10, Mother's Day.)

Unfortunately, I'm not finding too much support out there in the world for this national observance. Several years ago, the U.S. Postal Service promoted the month, but I don't see anything on their Web site so far this year.

There is a big promotion going on over at the Letter Lover blog. Samara O'Shea has teamed up with Gifts in 24 to host an essay writing contest. Read all about it here and here.

According to a press release issued a few years ago,
"National Card and Letter Writing Month is an opportunity for all Americans to rediscover the timeless and very personal art of letter writing," said Postmaster General John E. Potter. "Both in times of peace and conflict, cards and letters are the most effective way to share and permanently record our thoughts, prayers, hopes and dreams."


Although the Hallmark company doesn't have anything on their Web site about NCLWM, they do have information about "an enhanced selection of everyday greeting cards, with pricing starting at 99 cents."

"People are returning to basics, reaching out and letting people know they're loved and appreciated or just to say thanks," said Tressa Angell, Hallmark senior product manager. "Our consumers recognize that it's important to say what they want to say. They understand the power an unexpected gesture can have."

There's some great suggestions over at Associated Content, and the Random Acts of Mediocrity has a post about the month.

Girlfriend Celebrations has lots of great information on hosting a Letter-Writing Girls Night. Sounds like a wonderful party!

Let's celebrate National Card and Letter Writing Month by writing letters and sending cards! It'll brighten someone's day!

10 comments:

Samara said...

Thanks for the mention Carla! It's going to be a great month.

Yours in letter writing,
Samara

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

Please let me congratulate you, on this project! Just wonderful to have such commitment. I applaud you.

Yes, I'm trying to write letters. But I'm not up to your courage or commitment, yet. Actually, I don't have a week's worth of addresses of people who are committed to letter writing, even... to write to.

But, I'm not giving up! Onward! :-)

'Aunt Amelia'

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

As you can surmise from my sig. of 'Aunt Amelia,' I'm not a young chick anymore. And that's one of the problems. I'd love to find other "Women Of A Certain Age" to write to. {They, who try to have an optimistic outlook, of course. No comparison of our latest aches/pains!!! -grin-}

But, it's seems a bit hard to do.

Yes, one would think that blogging would be a way. But it seems that very few of my 'Bloglandia' friends, care about snail mail. -sigh-

Oh well. As I said, I'm not giving up. ^_^ And I'm not limiting myself, to just other "Women Of A Certain Age," of course!

'Aunt Amelia'

Gladys said...

Wow what a great project! Do people really still write letters? I correspond with an Aunt who does not have a computer nor does she email. Other than that I have not written a letter other than for business in a coons age.

Thanks for visiting over at my blog and please come oftn.

Nice and Easy Antiques said...

We have a friend in a hospital in England recuperating from surgery, she will be the recipient of our letter!

esque said...

Awesome project! I have been striving to write more letters, even if is just in post card form!

Fantastic Forrest said...

This is interesting. I can't remember if I told you about the letter writing relationship of Ann Patchett and Elizabeth Gilbert. The two authors spoke about it when they came to Portland.

I am going to get out my buried stationery materials and get busy!

Leslie Avon Miller said...

I can think of several people to write to; all would love to get a letter! Each month, I exchange a letter and work of art with a friend, who I met through the mail. We have been at it for years now. Such a treat when they arrive in the mail! Thanks for this!

Cindy said...

I didn't know April was national letter writing month. How fun.

LoopdiLou said...

Oh my goodness! Thanks for the mention, Carla! And more importantly - thanks for spreading your love of letters! I'm so glad you found me because now I get to read the blog of a more dedicated letter writer than myself!

I'm so excited! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...