Friday, March 13, 2009

Handwriting, typewriters and other interesting things

While doing some research lately, I came across a couple of interesting articles. The first one is a BBC story about the impending demise of handwriting.

Among other things, the article says:
She argues that children - if not this generation then one soon to come - may grow up using only a crude form of printing for the rare occasions in life they need to communicate by pen.


The other story is about a typewriter lover.

I found both stories when I was researching fonts/typefaces. I ran across this site with the links to the articles.

Don't forget to write a letter this weekend!

3 comments:

Linda B said...

I love the typewriter story. Thanks for sharing.

Stephanie said...

I don't know whether to defend the handwriting or not. When I was little I rebelled against cursive. I hated it, just because it was new and I liked print very much thank you. I have tried to keep my print legible to others at least, unless it's a grocery list or something. In the last couple of weeks I've started practicing cursive a little bit, though, just because I've seen it on letter-writing blogs and have got odd romantic notions.

I did take a calligraphy class when I was young, does that count at least for the non-demise of my handwriting? I don't know, I bet I do belong to the group whose handwriting is dreadful... I am pretty clumsy in all facets of life.

Fantastic Forrest said...

These are great. I need to get on my children to start writing letters. My handwriting is pretty wonderful, but theirs is rotten.

I really like your site! Thanks for visiting mine and following.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...