Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Great day for U.S. -- great day for letter writing!

As I write this, CBS is airing schoolchildren reading aloud the letter that Barack Obama wrote to his daughters, Sasha and Malia. The letter can be read in-full at Parade Magazine's Web site.

What a great gift to his daughters! When you read the letter, you'll see that he discusses current events, as well as his own personal life and history, and what he expects and hopes for their future together. He gives them some guidelines for how he hopes that they'll lead their lives, and he tells them how proud he is of them.

I hope that parents all over the world will take a cue from the new U.S. President and write a letter to their own children. Write a letter; slip it under their pillow or drop it in the mailbox so they'll get a wonderful envelope to open! Share yourself with your children in a way that they will be able to cherish forever.

Other letters that were mentioned in the news today include the letter that outgoing President Bush wrote to incoming President Obama and the letter that Bush's daughters, Barbara and Jenna wrote to Obama's daughters with advice about being the daughters of the president. They offered advice about friends, puppies and sliding down the banister in the White House.

How wonderful that letter writing has taken such a spotlight on this historic day!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

The children will treasure those letters in the years to come. What a great gift to leave them.

Handmade in Israel said...

Thank you for stopping by my blog. It meant that I discovered your space too! Thank you for your kind words. I am so pleased that you like my work.
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Yes it's the little things that matter isn't it...i know i can't throw out any letters these days...the ones that i've thrown out in the past i regret doing so...they're such a part of our personal history...

Unknown said...

i love a letter. a real live letter. you know. not email. good ole snail mail. love it

rosecreekcottage-carol.blogspot.com said...

Sadly, it's a lost 'art' in today's society. Instead we email and text!!

meego said...

It's great that parents write to their children and I think that letters from children , your spouse are also great. Communication is so important.

Anonymous said...

I love this idea. I once wrote a blog letter to my little one and I write in her journal but I think I will write her a letter...she's only 21 months but I think someday she'll love it.

I love the idea behind this entire blog and I wanted to give you a "fabulous" award for it. Please visit my personal blog for it. http://www.creativenachos.com

Anonymous said...

I started writing letters to my son when he was a baby. I thought it would be nice for him to know the "young" me, when I was a new mom because I know I will be so different by the time he will know me as an adult. I thought there might be value in him seeing that side of me.

I had a big epiphany in college about my parents. They had divorced when I was young and when I broke up with my first "real" relationship in college it was an eye opener and gave me an insight into my parents' relationship. It was the first time I had thought of them as real people instead of just old parents. :)

Anyway, I thought it might be fun for the kids to see me as I am now instead of that part of me being lost forever over the years.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...